Sunday, April 15, 2007

Assignment #6

At first when I saw the book I did not think much of it because sometimes I do judge a book by its cover. That is until I came home and noticed that it is a chicano chicanery book and that's when it totally grabbed my attention. I too am a chicana and I felt close to the characters in this book because I have never been able to connect with someone about this subject because no one seemed to understand my point of view. This was my first book about chicano's and I have too admit that it was an experience that was incredible.

In the begining of the book it was a little confusing because it went from one person to another, but I continued to read to see what the book had to offer. The language at first was hard to get used too but then I stopped and remembered how normal that was for me to hear. In the household I grew up, in it was normal to have such language spoken, but only by my father. I didn't want too accept somethings in the story, because it just seemed too real too be true. What I mean by that is that I personally saw things in my family that are mentioned in the book and it brought me memories that are sad too me.

From the start I liked Joey better because he seemed different and innocent. He also reminded me of myself and Billy was like my brother and Vero was like my sister. Joey was a nice kid that was quiet and seemed to keep everything inside of him just so the family was ok together. He wanted everything to be somewhat perfect between the Molina's kind of like what you see on t.v. William made it clear too Joey that t.v. is fake this is the real life and they would never be like what he saw on television. As much as he wanted to disrespect his father at times he bit his tongue and kept it inside because he was better than William and there was something unexplainable that kept from from letting him tell his father that he was wrong.

Joey and his siblings as well as Rachel took a lot from William that affected them physically and mentally. That is not normal in other households. I personally have never heard of this happening until I read this book. Through out the book I would have liked for William too have changed more than by taking the kids too restaurants and buying materialistic products. I would have liked to have seen an emotional change in him towards his family. Instead he got worse.

Rachel changed finally by getting stronger and leaving the monster she had wasted so many years of her life with, but it seemed a little late in time. I know it leaves the ending for the reader to gather up the ideas he/she has achieved throughout the story and determine an ending. I have come to the conclusion that Joey has possibly turned to be like his father. If he would have left with his mother he would have avoided William and would no longer have the bad influences William produces. Joey could have continued his acting career in Hollywood just as he wished as a child and he could have been different. This is just my point of view and this is what I have concluded. I hope that I am wrong because even though this book is fiction there is very much truth that this could be someones true life.

That would be something that I would like too know what ever happened too the Molina's. I would love for there to be a continuance of this story because I will sure read it if there is. With this being said I really liked this book.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home