Monday, April 16, 2007

And the Shadows Took Him - Assignment 6

First, I really enjoyed reading and the shadows took him by Daniel Chacon. When I found out which books were required for English 101, I read about the book online and I could not wait to go and purchase it! Just the back of the book grabbed my attention! I have always enjoyed reading books with history or culture based in them, and this is one is really fun and easy to read since I could never seem to put it down!

I really liked the way Chacon wrote this book and described each of the characters. It seemed that you could picture them clearly, know what they were wearing, and feel as though you actually have met them in person. As other readers have stated before, you never knew what was going to happen next! This was true especially with William, due to his temper and quick responses. I really enjoyed how Chacon transitioned providing the scene, then usually going back in time to support what was happening (like when Rachel’s family life was discussed after the incident at the restaurant).

Joey was by far my favorite character. I liked being able to watch him grow as a person and having him finally decide whether to follow in his father’s shadow or become his own individual. I really wish that Vero was talked about more often, even possibly about what was happening in her life back in Fresno. I think it might have helped shed more light upon the unusual family dynamic. In addition, even though Billy was discussed mainly during the fight, when he arrived to pick up Joey, and when he, Joey, and Rachel would watch old movies together, I would have liked to learn further about him and watch him grow more as well.

I really loved this book, although I seemed to follow part one very well, and by the time I reached part two, I started to get confused with all of the characters and switching back and forth from scenes. It became somewhat difficult, but after reading closely I figured everything out….

I, too, did not expect what happened in the ending. I actually was disappointed. I am hopeful for Joey’s future and wish that he did move with his mother and pursue acting, what I feel is his true “identity”. Although, his father’s negative influence was so strong and he had control over Joey for so long that it would be difficult to escape. Yet, this type of ending did allow readers to create their own future for Joey and left everything to one’s imagination…

I still feel that a second book would really respond to some unanswered questions! Some I still had were: Did Joey move with his mother to Fresno? Did Joey become a famous actor? Did Joey end up having a drug addiction or other problems? What happened with Joey/Amy/Leah/Karla? Did Rachel truly leave William and did she ever see him again? Was William convicted of the rape of Amy and attempted murder of Joey?

I now am a Daniel Chacon fan, and am planning to read another one of his books this summer.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mr. Oneth said...

I think Chacon leaves the ending wide open so as to force the reader to really think. If he gave us a definite ending we would dismiss the book and move on with our life. There would be no conclusion to be drawn from our reading. Instead your left really wondering how much you control your life with your choices.

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home