Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Assignment #6

I really enjoyed And The Shadows Took Him by Daniel Chacon. When I got the book at the beginning of the semester I started reading it right away and had stopped for a little while because of the assignments that took up my time. I was eager to start reading the book again. I found myself not putting it down because I was so interested in what was going to happen. The book overall was wonderful!

I felt bad for the family going through the problems that they went through like, Joey not able to be in the play in elementary school. Vero didn’t go to Oregon with her family she decided to live with her cousin, Norma. Vero got out of the house when she could because she didn't like how her dad was being abusive toward Joey. She didn't want to see her family gets hurt anymore by him. I did wonder if Vero would have fit in or how her life would be if she had moved to Oregon with her family. I was disappointed when they didn't talk too much about her after she had left the family. Rachel had talked to her on the phone but Joey didn't know that until the end. Billy wasn't talked about much ether because he was always at his girlfriend’s house or at the donut shop. I didn’t like Joey’s actions too much like smoking PCP, drinking and cheating on his girlfriend, Amy with Leah. Everyone makes mistakes but in these actions Joey knew what he was doing. I was glad he broke up with Amy because he loved Leah more than Amy.

Vero was my favorite character because she really was the only one who stood up for Joey. She had got into a fight for him and moved because of William’s behavior. She couldn’t tolerate her brother getting hurt anymore but she couldn’t really bring him with her because of their ages and I don’t think Rachel would have approved. Joey acted like things were okay in the home because he didn’t want to draw attention and wanted the family together.

I have recommended this book to my sister because I was telling her a little about it. Like I said before in my other blog, I was very disappointed in the ending. I wanted to know if Joey went back to Fresno or not. I was glad that he stayed to finish his last play that he was in because he seemed to be the happiest when he would talk about the play to his family.

I had fun with this book and really enjoyed writing the last essay! I look forward to reading other books by Daniel Chacon. Thank you for choosing this book for us to read.

Jamie Holly

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home