Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Third Entry-And the Shadows Took Him

I have been reading a lot of replies, and I felt like I should add a little more to my original posts. I just finished writing my essay #4 and I have to admit, after having done more research on the characters, I feel like they have more depth than I had originally assumed. I believe the greatest character is Rachel, due to the fact that she kept the entire family together for such a long time, even through all the turmoil. I feel like Joey was caught up in his acting, that he was taken by the shadows and transformed into his father. I feel like Billy really didn't want any part of his family, as long as he could live his life in his own state of peace. I think he realized he wasn't like any of his family and had to find his way out before he too was taken by the shadows. I think the most distasteful character of course was William. I think he ruined his entire family so horribly that all those heads he created were people he was trying to get to somehow accept him, and somehow not judge the person he was. I felt like he was extremely controlling, violent, abusive and downright pathetic. I think Rachel knew that she had made a mistake in marrying him, and left when the opportunity came. But I honestly feel like she left too late, because her entire family was destroyed. I think the greatest aspect that I came out with from the book was the aspect of understanding yourself. And I think Joey never really knew who he was, because he was so busy being so many different people that he lost himself and didn't know who he really was. I feel Billy was always himself, and realized that in order to stay himself he had to get out. But I think that Rachel had the hardest time finding herself because I feel like she lost herself the day she married William. This book made me reflect on many things, and although the ending was something that I wasn't expecting, I have to admit the fact that it makes me think, and has made many others think, is something the author should be proud of.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Bret18 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home