Friday, April 20, 2007

Assignment #6

And the Shadows Took Him was an awesome read. I love the way that the author, Daniel Chancon, uses a great deal of foreshadowing all throughout the novel. One expample of this is when Joey is looking himself in the mirror and he sees an evil version of himself. The evil version represents who Joey will become when he moves to Oregon. He also uses foreshadowing through the three personas that Joey develops.

I think that one of the reasons that I enjoyed this novel so much is Chacon's use of suspense. It seems like every time the story started to get juicy and something big was about to happen, Chacon would draw it out until I couldn't stand it anymore and then he would make me wait just a bit longer. An example of this is when Amy is raped by William. I knew that something bad had happened and I assumed what had happen but Chacon kept me dangling until the middle of the next chapter.

I really liked how Chacon kept in touch with the hispanic hertiage. Throughout the novel Chacon will use a spanish phrase and it made me a little confused because my Spanish is limited. Once I had gotten the translation it helped me to connect the story. I think that the use of Spanish throughout the novel helps to set the scene as well as character development.

One of the most disappointing parts of the novel surely has to be the conclusion. I am very upset that there was no resolution to the story. I got so involved in the novel that I craved more. It did not statisfy me that I had to assume what happens to Joey, Rachel, Vero, and even William. Maybe there is going to be a follow up--at least I can be hopeful.

Overall, this novel is a tremendous read. I was able to really connect to the characters. I loved the way that the story to told. I makes me feel like a relative is telling me the story. I have already recommended this novel to a couple of co-workers as well as family and they are just as engrossed as I was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home